Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Perspective



Everyone knows I live in a small town. Living in a small town is funny because often times when you feel like you are doing something ordinary or expected with your life and if you are moderately successful, people make it seem like a big deal. I own a gift shop and a wholesale business specializing in home decor and personalized gifts. It is what I chose to do. It is my vocation. But in a small town... I get treated as if I am a big deal. The local magazine does a 2 page article with a lovely photograph of my mother and I. Anywhere else it is good press, here in eugene you are a "local celebrity"... for about a month anyway until the next issue comes out. I mean easy come easy go...

However I have noticed recently that it is not difficult to let this mentality go to your head. I have known people who act very stuck up simply because of the fact that they get so much attention for the things they do. I have a store filled with things that I consider beautiful. I love what I do for many reasons... but mostly it is because I like to be surrounded by what is beautiful. I don't think that this is common for a lot of people who have "made it big" (which by the way I laughed as I was writing those words). They push people around and make promises they don't keep. They walk around and while they do get recognized around town they seem to forget that they are just a big fish in a little pond.

Eugene, OR

This notion has lead me to really think about this. With the fact that I do have a moderately successful and (to me) charming and little life. I get treated like I am someone to pay attention to sometimes. Someone I went to high school with actually called me big shot when I ran into them last week.

hmm...

At the same time I think about what makes me the happiest. Beautiful things, new experiences, relaxation, contentment, laughter, loyal friends, love, family, travel, fresh air, the outdoors - These are the things that make me happy...

In knowing these things and thinking about my little life here in Eugene... it really does beg the question...

Am I happier as a big fish in a small town? Or would I prefer to be a little fish in a big world? Someone small living there life inconsequentially. Flying under the radar. I don't really enjoy the hustle bustle of living in a big city, but I don't like living under the microscope either.


How do I find middle ground?

No comments: