Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Megan's Picks: January

Otherwise known as "Megan's favorite things"... similar to Oprah, but I don't get paid by big companies to promote their junk. Come on Oprah... you don't wear apple bottom jeans... GIVE ME A BREAK! :)

SO For the month of January... this is what I am loving...

1. "Domino: The Book of Decorating, a room by room guide to creating a home that makes you happy."


I am sprucing up the digs! Developing personal style isn't as easy as one one think... I love a lot of different styles. Combining french country, Asian influences, and modern function is not easy at all! This book is awesome. It was a christmas gift from my mother and the book basically helps you develop your own style  and break the rules of decorating to create your own type of room. Basing the decorating on the influences in your life that make you happy. 

They take you step by step on the development of a room based on your own influences... its hard to describe... just go snag yourself a copy. YOU WONT REGRET IT! 

2. Thermals



They are so cute and casual... they look cute with a great pair of jeans and boots, but are practical enough to wear yoga pants or Pj's! if you can find a longer style, they look fantastic with a thick pair of leggings and Ugg boots. Yes I said Ugg boots! I don't care if some people say they are "OUT" they are always IN when it hits below 40! And so are Sorel boots... speaking of which... my next pick is...

3. Sorel Boots


I have always loved these... even when they were considered lame. J Crew just picked them up as an additional line. I love these boots because they have the same look or idea as Uggs, but they are indestructible. They are a fabulous addition to your winter wardrobe! Look great with leggings and a tunic, jeggings, and skinny jeans. They make your legs look TINY! Pair it with a mid thigh length winter coat... so wintery and fun!

4. Chocolate Covered Oreos



I am a big fan of a sweet treat post work out. So I have started a new thing! Chocolate covered oreos are 70 calories a piece and if you only eat one it isn't horrible for you. So I get one after I work out every day... I work out QUITE a bit! If I get over an hour of cardio (has to be more than 7 minutes over an hour... as that what it takes to burn one!) I allow myself one of these little babies. I don't care what anyone says... TOTALLY WORTH THOSE 7 MINUTES! 

5. Lamp in a box

I am getting ready for New York and going over all the companies that I will be calling on to buy product for my store and I came across the most amazing lamp company that puts different fun and funky images into lamps and you pick out your image, then your stand. They are affordable and you cal also upload your own image if you don't like anything they have... THEY ARE DARLING!! check them out at lampinabox.com

6. Cooking at home
I know this sounds silly. However, as a gal that lives alone- it doesn't happen as much as it should!


If there is ever a month to stay in and cook your own meals its January! Lots of new years resolutions to loose weight, save money, and stay organized... A great way to do so is to try and eat in as much as possible... I am so bad about buying groceries and then just stopping at chipotle on my way home or grabbing take out from the restaurant at my athletic club and charging it to my account. Then when the bill comes its "Aahh!! how did that happen??!!"... meanwhile ALL my food goes bad in your fridge and its another $100 bucks down the drain!

7. Birthdays




Why exactly do I think that these personal little holidays are so chic and stylish right now?? 


Because mine is tomorrow :)












4 comments:

Rach said...

Happy birthday! Hope it is amazing :) And thank you for sharing the lamp site-I love the vintage Barbie shade and may have to order.

lessons-in-patience said...

Happy Birthday!
I'm trying to get in to the habit of cooking at home. Tired of throwing food out that's gone bad, and tired of not having any money. Seeing as how I can't really cook, we'll see how it goes!

Pearls and Pears said...

Williams Sonoma has the BEST cookbooks! However if you are trying to SAVE money... they can be expensive- so I would try amazon.com! I have found williams sonoma cookbooks there for $6 including shipping. They also have a pretty extensive online library of recipes at williamssonoma.com!

Pearls and Pears said...

Thank you both for the birthday wishes!!!